Saturday

Newbie Screwups

Well I wanted to learn from this project and I can see already that I will. I have never done this before but I've taken apart things all my life and put them back together. I am a fairly decent carpenter (still have 10 fingers) so I figure I can get through most of this unscathed. Today I dug into the boat literally. Out went the windshield with a cutting tool and a gator bit wrench for the bolts. I removed the seats, throttle control, switches, wires, steering wheel, steering cable and any loose boards in and around the boat which I think I'll use as templates and remake with Starboard.

But... I knew things couldn't go so perfect... In my haste to remove the floor with a circular saw to get through the fiberglass I went a bit to deep and went through the hull in a spot!! Oops!! I am sure this can be fixed lol (I hope). The stringers were in decent shape and fiberglassed over. The flotation foam soggy and wet, the floor was a crumpled piece of plywood.

I burnt a hole in my thumb after touching a red hot bolt I was cutting but thats about par for the course. So far today about 3 hrs of work and the worst part is almost over.

Hey at least the hole is draing all the water that was in the boat : )

No comments: